We all want to belong, and yet often it’s often difficult get to the place where you feel like you belong in a new group or community. We’ve observed over time that there are really three ways that people get connected in our church:
- Show up regularly
- Connect with a group of friends and share life together
- Invest by serving alongside others.
Our church is designed not only to help you grow spiritually and make an impact for and with God, but it’s also designed to help you find a place where you belong. We hope that soon you’ll find this to be a place you call “home.”
You may be asking yourself, “So, what’s next?” We want to help you answer that question at each stage of your journey, whether you’re brand new or well along on the journey.
Woody Allen once said that 80% of life is just showing up. There’s some truth that. If you’re new around here, we hope you show up a few more times. This is a time for us to get to know you, for you to get to know us, and to start building a relationship. We invite you to start showing up regularly at our worship service, a service event, social events, or maybe even a small group. You’ll start to meet some people and get a feel for who we are and what we’re about. Here are some key steps in this stage:
- Turn in a Visitors Card and bring it to the information center or sign our guest book
- Come back. Come back. Then, come back again.
- Ask one of us about partnership, or email us at email@example.com
The church is not a building; it is a community of people. The next stage in your journey to belonging at Harbor Life is to get connected with some people you can share life with and who will support and encourage as well as challenge you. The best of life comes to us when we are in relationships in which we love one another, grow in maturity, and engage in serving others (what we call mission). This stage is a time to dig in and become a part of the family. Here are some key steps in this stage:
- Join a small group, whether short-term or ongoing.
- Meet with a spiritual guide/coach. Ask at the Information Center, call us (616.662.2100), or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Consider becoming a partner. Ask about it by emailing us at the address above.
- Start serving. Ask yourself what you’re good at, what you love, and what brings you joy. Then contact us or ask around about how you can use your gifts to help others.
The abundant life comes not just from being in community and getting our needs filled. True life is found by investing in others. In this stage, we hope you will find the unique and special ways God has designed you to make a difference in the lives of other people. Here are some key steps in this stage:
- Invest as a volunteer in a church ministry
- Invest as a leader
- Invest outside the church in mission
- Invest in someone behind you in the journey